Mike Schoenfeld’s practice actively involves all aspects of the construction industry, both federal and state, from drafting and negotiating of contract language, licensing issues, bid protests, consultation during construction and through dispute resolution. Mike’s clients include public and private owners, general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, sureties, construction managers, and consultants. Matters frequently involve issues concerning contract claims, delay, loss of productivity, liens, stop notices, and bond claims. Mike has a particular interest and expertise in ADR processes, both as an advocate as well as an active mediator and arbitrator.
Mike has successfully acted as an arbitrator and mediator on more than 150 matters. Virtually all of the cases have concerned the construction industry, with many involving multiple parties. As an advocate, virtually all of the matters for which Mike is retained as counsel resolve themselves through the mediation process. Overall, Mike has participated in well over 300 mediations and arbitrations and successfully negotiated several takeover agreements with sureties related to general contractor and subcontractor defaults. Additionally, Mike is a certified Arbitrator with the Public Works Contract Arbitration Program. He serves on the American Arbitration Association Panel as both an arbitrator and mediator.
Mike is listed in the 2007 through 2023 editions of The Best Lawyers in America, the 2007 through 2022 editions of Northern California Super Lawyers, and in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List in 2015 through 2022. He was named in Sacramento Business Journal’s Best of the Bar List in 2017 and 2019, which recognizes top local attorneys who have been nominated by their peers and vetted by a panel of their peers. He is rated AV-Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mike has four times been named Best Lawyers’ Sacramento Lawyer of the Year. He was named Sacramento Lawyer of the Year for Construction Law in 2015, 2017, and 2019, and was named Sacramento Lawyer of the Year for Construction Litigation in 2022.
- Monteleone & McCrory (Los Angeles) (1981 – 1984) – Associate involved with construction law matters.
- Thelen, Marrin, Johnson & Bridges (San Francisco) (1984 – 1988) – Associate involved with construction law matters.
- Diepenbrock, Wulff, Plant & Hannegan, LLP (Sacramento) (1988 – 1998) – Associate through 1992; Partner thereafter; all efforts concerned construction law and litigation.
- Murphy Austin Adams Schoenfeld LLP (Sacramento) (1999 – Present) – Partner involved in construction law matters.
- Hastings College of Law
- University of California, Davis
- State Bar of California
- Certified Arbitrator with the Public Works Contract Arbitration Program
- Arbitrator and Mediator, The American Arbitration Association Panel
- American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section
- AGC Legislative and Legal Advisory Committees
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Construction Law Section
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2007-2023)
- Named Best Lawyers’ Sacramento Lawyer of the Year for Construction Litigation (2022)
- Named Best Lawyers’ Sacramento Lawyer of the Year for Construction Law (2015, 2017, and 2019)
- Listed as a Super Lawyer in Northern California Super Lawyers, Construction Litigation (2007-2022)
- Named in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, Construction (2015-2022)
- Named in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, Construction Litigation (2015-2022)
- Named in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, Arbitration (2021)
- Named in Sacramento Magazine’s Top Lawyers List, Alternative Dispute Resolution (2016)
- Named in the Sacramento Business Journal’s Best of the Bar List (2017, 2019)
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell (1993-Present)