Ryan Donoghue’s practice focuses on complex litigation, including business, commercial, and real property matters as well as employment disputes.
His business and commercial litigation practice focuses on matters involving real estate and business transactions, along with environmental regulatory compliance. Ryan utilizes his agency, regulatory, enforcement, and practical experience to help clients navigate environmental statutes associated with their property and operations.
In his employment law practice, Ryan advises companies in employment classification, termination, and leave decisions, as well as the drafting of effective policies and procedures.
Prior to joining Murphy Austin, Ryan was an associate at Dannis Woliver Kelley, where he represented public school and community college districts in business and property transactions, including phases of land use planning and facilities construction. He also counseled districts on compliance with statutory environmental procedures related to litigation arising out of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA).
Ryan received his B.A., cum laude, with a Major in English Literature from University of Nevada, Reno at Lake Tahoe in Incline Village, Nevada. He earned his J.D. with a Water and Environmental Concentration from University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento, where he was an SBA Peer Mentor and a member of the Water Law Society.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento
J.D., 2021, Water and Environmental Concentration
Rugby Club, SBA Peer Mentor, Themis Bar Review Campus Representative, Water Law Society
- University of Nevada, Reno at Lake Tahoe, Incline Village
B.A., cum laude, 2016, English Literature
Men’s Golf, Mentor, Student Government, Debate, Sierra Nevada Review, Humanities and Social Sciences Departmental Scholar
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Labor and Employment, Civil Litigation, and Environmental Law Sections
- Counseled school and college districts in business and property transactions.
- Developed strategies for agency compliance with statutory environmental procedures, including drafting CEQA documents and preparing administrative records for litigation.
- Prepared a broad range of agreements, bid packages, and procurement documents.
- Negotiated terms of facilities construction and related professional services contracts.
- Advised clients on substantive and procedural issues to secure agency expenditures and defend against developer fee protests.
- Provided guidance to clients on ballot measures, elections, the Political Reform Act, the Brown Act, and the California Public Records Act.
- Directed the examination of a witness and defended a state agency’s decision before an Administrative Law Judge.