Kevin Royer’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation throughout California State and Federal Courts, with an emphasis on business litigation and commercial disputes.
Prior to joining Murphy Austin, Kevin was a litigation associate at Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP’s Orange County office, where he represented real property owners, commercial landlords, and real estate developers in litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Kevin’s litigation experience also includes representing counties and municipalities in Arizona, Kansas, Maryland, and Missouri in complex, multi-district litigation; advising start-up companies in connection with whistleblower investigations regarding potential antitrust and securities laws violations; serving as litigation counsel to health-and-fitness companies in personal injury litigation, worker’s compensation proceedings, and business transactions; and defending military contractors and other individuals and entities in general commercial litigation in California State and Federal Courts.
Kevin has also represented health care providers in reimbursement disputes with public and private payors in litigation, administrative proceedings, and government investigations involving the Knox Keen Act, the Medicare and Medicaid Act, the False Claims Act, and the Anti-Kickback Statute.
Kevin earned his J.D., with a specialization in business law, from UCLA School of Law in Los Angeles. He received the Dean’s Merit Scholarship and the Dean’s Award in Civil Procedure and Contracts at University of California, Irvine School of Law; and earned his B.A. in History from University of California, Los Angeles.
Prior to law school, Kevin was an emergency medical technician in Sacramento County, as well as a singer-songwriter, recording artist, and music producer; his songs have been featured on major television networks such as Fox, MTV, ABC Family, and Bravo.
- UCLA School of Law, Los Angeles
J.D. Specialization in Business Law, 2016
- University of California, Irvine School of Law, Irvine
Fall 2013-Spring 2014, Honors: Dean’s Merit Scholarship; Dean’s Award: Procedural Analysis; Common Law Analysis, Contracts
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles
B.A., History, 2009
- State Bar of California
- Organized free concerts at California children’s hospitals
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Member, Construction Law Section and Civil Litigation Section
- Represents clients in complex litigation matters, arbitration disputes, pre-litigation process, and mediation proceedings.
- Drafts, reviews and revises contracts and negotiates settlements.
- Represented real estate developers, real estate agencies, and owners of residential and commercial properties in complex civil litigation matters, including eminent domain proceedings to acquire permanent water pipeline and temporary construction staging easements relating to water treatment plant and construction of 800,000-gallon reservoir and pump station.
- Represented landlords in high-stakes commercial lease litigation involving common-law and statutory claims for ejectment, breach of contract, public/private nuisance, and trespass in California state court.
- Represented fee interest owners in condemnation proceedings to commit to public use certain drainage, utility, footing, and access easement interests.
- Advised commercial landlords regarding COVID-19 rent relief requests, enforceability of non-compete provisions and radius clause restrictions.
- Negotiated and resolved landlord-tenant disputes.
- Managed representations of military contractors, government entities, healthcare providers, commercial tenants, health-and-fitness businesses and individuals in complex and high-stakes civil cases and white collar and administrative litigation.