Eric Spears is a business lawyer. His broad-based business practice includes advising companies and individuals on choice of entity, entity formation and governance, mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity securities offerings, commercial finance, trademark and other intellectual property matters, contract drafting and negotiation, and general business counseling.
Eric received his B.A. in Political Science, with highest honors, and History, with honors, from University of California, Davis, and received his J.D., cum laude, from University of California, Hastings College of Law. During law school, Eric earned multiple top student awards and served as a teaching assistant for Moot Court and Legal Writing and Research courses.
In recognition for his excellence in business and corporate law, Eric was named as a Rising Star in the 2020, 2021 and 2022 editions of Northern California Super Lawyers.
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law
J.D., cum laude, 2014
- University of California, Davis
B.A., Political Science, highest honors, and History, honors, 2010
Phi Beta Kappa
- State Bar of California
- Sacramento County Bar Association, President (2020)
- Varsity Golf Team Coach, Colfax High School (2011)
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Business Section
- Advising companies and individuals through all stages of the business life cycle, including choice of entity, entity formation and governance, general contract matters, capital raises, sales and acquisitions, and dissolution.
- Organizing corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships and general partnerships, including preparing charter documents and drafting and negotiating key stakeholder agreements such as buy-sell agreements, shareholders’ agreements, operating agreements, limited partnership agreements, general partnership agreements, investor rights agreements, and voting agreements.
- Structuring, negotiating, documenting and closing a wide variety of strategic transactions, including asset sales/acquisitions, equity sales/acquisitions, and mergers.
- Representing issuers and investors in connection with debt and equity securities offerings, including advising issuers on federal and state securities law compliance and preparing and negotiating private placement memoranda and other offering documents.
- Counseling companies in obtaining trademark registration from the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Named a Rising Star in Northern California Super Lawyers, Business and Corporate (2020-2022)