Bailey Smith is a healthcare law attorney with Murphy Austin, where her practice focuses on representing community health clinics in regulatory and compliance matters.
Prior to joining Murphy Austin, Bailey was a post-graduate research assistant at the UCSF – UC Law Consortium on Law, Science and Health Policy. There, her work focused on analyzing healthcare power of attorney and living will statutory changes across the U.S. She also worked with the Consortium’s UCSF partners on an annual review of Consortium resources which assist patients with end-of-life healthcare decisions. Finally, she worked on a project focused on state-by-state durable power of attorney requirements to assist in the creation of a patient-facing website.
Prior to her work at the Consortium, Bailey served as a research assistant for the Center for Transformational Health Law at the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law in Washington, D.C., where she researched and documented legal frameworks facilitating universal health coverage in low-income countries. Bailey also served as a legal extern for the Environmental Defense Fund’s Safer Chemicals Team, where her work focused on analyzing FDA authority to regulate chemicals in food and food packaging.
Bailey received her J.D., cum laude, from the University of California College of the Law, San Francisco (formerly UC Hastings, College of the Law). She was awarded her LL.M. in National and Global Health Law from Georgetown University Law Center, where she also earned a Certificate in U.S. Health Law.
- Georgetown University Law Center
LL.M., National and Global Health Law, 2023, Certificate in U.S. Health Law
- University of California College of the Law, San Francisco (formerly UC Hastings, College of the Law)
J.D., cum laude, 2022
Concentration, Social Justice Lawyering
- University of California, Santa Barbara
B.A., Global Studies and Sociocultural Linguistics, magna cum laude, 2018
Minor, Professional Writing (Civic Engagement emphasis)
- State Bar of California
- American Health Law Association
- California Society for Healthcare Attorneys
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Health Care Law Section
- Represents primary care clinics in facilities licensure and enrollment matters.
- Represents Federally Qualified Health Centers in regulatory compliance matters.
- Represents clinics in regulatory matters related to payor contracts, HIPAA compliance, legislative changes, and general regulatory compliance.
- Bailey Smith et al., Ninth Annual DC Public Health Case Challenge, National Academy of Medicine (Sept. 6, 2023)
- Wildcard Prize Recipient, D.C. Public Health Case Challenge, National Academy of Medicine (2022)
- First Place Best Brief Award, Snodgrass Intramural Moot Court Competition, University of California College of the Law, San Francisco (2020)
- Best Oral Argument Award, Legal Research and Writing II, University of California College of the Law, San Francisco (Spring 2020)