Brooks Whitehead is a partner at Murphy Austin, practicing in the firm’s Real Estate, Corporate and Business, and Tax and Estate Planning Teams. As evidenced by his work with each of these practice groups, Brooks’s substantial breadth and depth of experience in transactional matters allows Brooks to bring a holistic approach to the representation of his clients.
Brooks frequently assists clients with complex real estate transactions relating to the purchase and sale of real property, including real estate financing, and the formation of entities used to acquire real property, such as partnerships and LLCs. Brooks also represents landlords and tenants seeking to lease or ground lease commercial, industrial, and retail space, with a particular focus on office and medical office leasing.
His business/corporate practice includes assisting clients in matters related to choice of entity, formation, and governance; mergers and acquisitions; and contract negotiation and drafting. He has advised and represented entities of all forms and types, including for-profit and nonprofit.
Brooks’s tax background further bolsters his real estate and business/corporate practice, as Brooks is fluent in matters of partnership, corporate, income, property, and sales and use tax. Brooks also has experience with estate/gift tax and complex estate planning.
Brooks is a former Chair and Board member of the Tax Section of the Sacramento County Bar Association (SCBA), and participates in the Tax, Business, and Real Property Sections of the SCBA.
Brooks serves as Vice Chair of the Board of Directors for PBS KVIE Public Television in Sacramento and serves on the Executive Committee and the Financial Committee of KVIE’s Board.
Brooks received his law degree (J.D.) from the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, where he was named a member of the Roger J. Traynor Honor Society. He also holds a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Transnational Business Practice from McGeorge, where his coursework emphasized taxation (including production of a master’s thesis regarding tax planning with IC-DISCs). Brooks received a Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) from California State University, Sacramento, and double-majored in Economics and Political Science while at the University of California, Davis.
Brooks was named a Rising Star by Northern California Super Lawyers for seven consecutive years (2015-2021). He also maintains an AVVO attorney rating of 10.0 Superb.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, Sacramento
LL.M., 2016, Transnational Business Practice
Dean’s Honor List 2006-2008
- California State University, Sacramento
- University California, Davis
B.A. in Economics, B.A. Political Science, 2003
- State Bar of California (2009)
- United States Tax Court (2010)
- PBS KVIE Public Television, Board Vice Chair; Member of Board Executive Committee and Financial Committee (September 2023-present); Board Member (2018-present)
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Board Member, Tax Law Section (2011-2014)
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Business, Real Property, and Taxation Law Sections
- Sacramento Estate Planning Council (2009-Present)
- Named a Rising Star in Northern California Super Lawyers, Business and Corporate Law (2015-2021)
- AVVO Attorney Rating: 10.0 Superb